Re: Re: Supported architectures for Linux 2.6

From: pinotj
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 08:56:25 EST

Russel King wrote:

>> I updated the documentation I wrote about architectures supported by
>> the 2.6.X kernel. Here is the beginning for the curious:
>> The complete file is available here :
>> http://cercle-daejeon.homelinux.org/linux/kernel/arch.txt
>
>Sorry, I don't have much interest in keeping this up to date for ARM
>platforms; there are too many ARM platforms around which would make
>this a full time job.

I understand, Linux is too much portable :-)
I don't expect we can write a complete and accurate list of all arch in one shot.
It is something that must evolve like the Kernel or Hardware does.

>I'm not certain that all the ARM platforms we appear to support in
>2.6.x are actually working - again, it comes back to time, people and
>testing.

Of course, it will take time.

What do you think about creating a Wiki from this file that users/maintainers could update easily ?

The portability of Linux shouldn't be underestimate by non-expert people. I believe this file could help.

Regards,

(please, cc: me)

--
Jerome Pinot