Re: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives

From: Tonnerre
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 11:14:12 EST

Salut,

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 11:24:40AM +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
> If you can open a fork/substream/whatever by issuing
> open("filename/forkname", ...
> then the old-fashioned open() works with multi-fork files too.
> An tools based on "open() something, then work with
> the resulting file descriptor" will work _unchanged_
> with such a multi-fork fs.

In my version they'd run unchanged as well.

And BTW, I wasn't talking about introducing a new open at libc
level. I was talking about modifying the open system call in the
kernel and having libc provide compatibility for the old call.

Since I'm not sure how much breakage it takes to make a file a
directory.

Tonnerre