Re: Linux Routing Performance inferior?

From: Norbert van Nobelen
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 13:59:08 EST

BSD is known for good network performance, however I don't know benchmarks.
I think the difference is to big: The routing/IP stack combined being 10 times
less efficient is too much.

They also don't mention which linux kernel they use. Reading the
FreeBSD-5.3-Networking.pdf they did some optimasations which are probably not
advisable if you don't use your box as a router.
The goal of this person is as far as I can see to build a router only, so in
theory you could build in the same optimasations in network stack of linux

Also look at page 11: The fastforwarding is a solid positive step on how a
router should work. So even the performance of FreeBSD is not considered like
a real router OS.