Re: Linux Routing Performance inferior?

From: Matt Kavanagh
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 14:06:39 EST

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 11:06:17PM +0530, Ram Chandar wrote:

> Quoted from a recent mail to freebsd mailing list.
>
> "FreeBSD (5.x) can route 1Mpps on a 2.8G Xeon while
> Linux can't do much more than 100kpps"
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2004-September/004840.html
>
> Is this indeed the case?

Seems to be pretty much just biased conjecture IMO. I wouldn't
dismiss the possibility of FreeBSD having (in some situations)
significantly better routing performance than linux in the same
situation..but getting me to believe that would require proper,
objective benchmarks.

All from a user's perspective.