Re: multi-domain PCI and sysfs

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 18:51:04 EST

On Mer, 2004-09-08 at 19:21, David S. Miller wrote:
> On ppc, sparc, and other non-x86 platforms, when you perform load/store
> instructions within the port I/O space window, the PCI controller emits
> the IN/OUT transactions exactly as if an x86 processor had executed
> an in{bwl}/out{bwl} instruction.

Some of them are not quite that pretty. In certain cases outb gets
translated into code that does horrors vaguely of the form

spin_lock_irqsave
lane = (addr & 3) << 3;
writel(1<<(addr&3), somecontroller->lanes);
writel(addr, somecontroller->offset);
writel(val << lane, somecontroller->somewhere);
spin_unlock_irqrestore

Other code has extra magic reads in to work around fpga pci bridges that
forgot out is synchronous and writel is posted.

A better summary from the higher levels of the kernel would be "don't
look behind the sofa, there might be a monster lurking".

The only way I can see VGA routing working is to have some kind of arch
code that can tell you which devices are on the same VGA legacy tree.
That then allows a vga layer to walk VGA devices and ask arch code the
typically simple question

pci_vga_shared_router(pdev1, pdev2)

Alan