Re: 2.6.9-rc1-mm4 kjournald oops (repeatable)

From: Richard A Nelson
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 18:59:08 EST

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Lee Revell wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 19:07, Richard A Nelson wrote:

> > > Ok, if it still fails (I'll have to wait until this afternoon for the
> > > true test - dpkg breaks it everytime), I'll check out preempt.
> >
> > Well, it looks like backing out the patch was sufficient, I've made it
> > through the torture that is a dpkg install (70+meg).
> >
> > So we needn't (at this time) look to preempt.
>
> Hmm, I have been running this patch for weeks as part of the voluntary
> preemption patches, and put it through every torture test I can think
> of, with nary an Oops. None of the other VP testers have reported
> problems either. Maybe this is some interaction between that patch and
> something else in -mm.

Interestingly, I notice Zwane had a very similiar oops, posted on the
7th: Oops in __journal_clean_checkpoint_list
He also had preempt enabled...

I've found upgrading my Debian system using dselect to be a *very* good
stress test of the filesystem...

If you have candidates, I'll try to test them - I've typically had no
problem reproducing the issue :)

--
Rick Nelson
* Equivalent code is available from RSA Data Security, Inc.