Re: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.9-rc1-bk12-R6

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 16:43:24 EST

Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would still expect the only thing to materially improve swap latency
> to be a log structured swap, possibly with a cleaner which tidies
> together pages that are referenced together.

Maybe. It'd be nice to show some benefit from the "organise pages by
virtual address" patch first.

But then, maybe that doesn't help because there is little correlation
between address congruency and time-of-reference. That's hard to believe
though.

hm. The patch _does_ do what I wanted it to do. Maybe I tested it with
silly workloads.

> You also want contiguous runs of at least 64K and probaly a lot more on
> bigger memory systems.

I used 1MB.

+/*
+ * We divide the swapdev into 1024 kilobyte chunks. We use the cookie and the
+ * upper bits of the index to select a chunk and the rest of the index as the
+ * offset into the selected chunk.
+ */
+#define CHUNK_SHIFT (20 - PAGE_SHIFT)