Re: The Serial Layer

From: Alan Cox
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 11:50:45 EST

On Gwe, 2004-09-10 at 15:32, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> We needed to close the line discpline in order to prevent a line
> discipline (such as ppp) from trying to write to the tty. Given there
> was an invariant that a tty always had a line discpline always, we
> reassigned it back to N_TTY. The right answer is probably to be to
> add checks to the line discpline code before they attempt to send data
> to the tty.

Ok that makes sense. So we need the same kind of ordering rules about
device->close() as we now enforce with ldisc->close(). That suggests we
simply need to call ldisc->close before device->close. I think we can
now do that safely as the device won't deliver data to a closed ldisc.

Will look into it