Error with initrd when build kernel

From: ngo giang
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 23:23:43 EST

Hello,

I?m using Linux RedHat 8 , kernel-2.4.18
I?m trying to build kernel-2.4.26
I did following :
???.
make xconfig , make dep , make clean , make bzImage
make modules , make modules_install
mkinitrd --omit-scsi-modules /boot/initrd-xxx.img xxx
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-xxx
cp System.map /boot/System.map-xxx
ln -s /boot/System.map-xxx /boot/System.map

Every thing fine

But when I configured grub.conf as follow :

title ( ?.)
root(hd0,0)
kernel /bzImage-2.4.26 ro root=LABEL=/
( I don?t know where my root is on )
initrd /initrd-2.4.26.img

when reboot
I received the error as follow :

? VFS : cannot open root device ? label = / ? or 00:00
Please append a correct ? root = ? boot option
Kernel panic : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 00:00
?

Can anyone tell me how I can configure the grub.conf
or
how the configuration is ( at stage : make xconfig )
to avoid creating initrd

Could anyone help me .

Thanks for yours help !