Re: Major XFS problems...

From: ADH
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 04:24:22 EST

Hmm,

looks like probs I had recently on big filesystems under load on a smp machine. the only thing different is that I m using samba instead of nfs, but behaviour seems the same. On top of that we re encrypting the entire filesystems on this machine whicht now holds a total of 9 TB of attached storage.

In my observations those errors occure under the following conditions:

- using an smp system
- using applications which concurrently allocating memory in an aggressive manner
- freemem is at the lower limit given in vm.min_free_kbytes

Following numerous threats in mailinglists the has been some changes/patches for the most current kernels scoping these probs, however, if you are bound to a distribution kernel it may help to set the mentioned parameter

vm.min_free_kbytes

5 to 10 times bigger than given by default. At least for me it worked ... no more oops, even under heavy load/backup etc.

---

Independently from this prob, can anyone confirm that there is a prob with concurrent allocating memory under load on linux smp systems?!

ciao
andi