Re: GPL source code for Smart USB 56 modem (includes ALSA AC97 patch)

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 09:16:09 EST

SashaK <sashak@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:26:00 +0200 (MEST)
> Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I hope you succeed with open-sourcing all of slmodem's driver
>> code. My Targa Athlon64 laptop has the AMR thingy and the
>> 32-bit x86 binary only slmodem driver prevents me from using
>> the modem while running a 64-bit kernel.
>
> You mean to GPL user-space program slmodemd?
> I think it is good idea, but unfortunately this code is not just my, and
> final decision was 'no'.

One way that would work is to make the binary parts of your driver run
in user space and let the kernel part just provide a kind of simple
sound card. The later should be much easier to free.

Modern CPUs are usually fast enough that the additional latency
caused by this doesn't matter.

The 64bit kernel can run 32bit programs without problems.

-Andi