Re: radeon-pre-2

From: Vladimir Dergachev
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 19:48:20 EST

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Michel [ISO-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:

On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 23:42 +0100, Dave Airlie wrote:

I think yourself and Linus's ideas for a locking scheme look good, I also
know they won't please Jon too much as he can see where the potential
ineffecienes with saving/restore card state on driver swap are, especailly
on running fbcon and X on a dual-head card with different users.

Frankly, I don't understand the fuss about that. When you run a 3D
client on X today, 3D client and X server share the accelerator with
this scheme, and as imperfect as it is, it seems to do a pretty good job
in my experience.

Not that good - try dragging something while a DVD video is playing.

But, I don't understand what the fuss is about either. What's wrong with putting PLL setting code inside DRM driver and letting it be the client of fbcon ? And the transition problems could be well solved by leaving the existing fbcon in for the time being, it is not like the kernel does not have duplicate drivers.

best

Vladimir Dergachev

--
Earthling Michel DÃnzer | Debian (powerpc), X and DRI developer
Libre software enthusiast | http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer