Re: Writable module parameters - should be volatile?

From: Duncan Sands
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 08:24:07 EST

On Sunday 12 September 2004 14:52, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Sonntag, 12. September 2004 13:57, Duncan Sands wrote:
> > I declare a writable module parameter as follows:
> >
> > static unsigned int num_rcv_urbs = UDSL_DEFAULT_RCV_URBS;
> >
> > module_param (num_rcv_urbs, uint, S_IRUGO | S_IWUSR);
> >
> > Shouldn't I declare num_rcv_urbs volatile? Otherwise compiler
> > optimizations could (for example) stick it in a register and miss
> > any changes made by someone writing to it...
>
> Even worse, AFAICS there is no guarantee that writes are atomic,
> which can give unpredictable results in case of strings or arrays.
> Both problems can be solved by serializing access to writable
> module parameters.
>
> Maybe we could have a global module_param_rwsem. Making the
> parameter volatile does not sound like the right solution, in
> fact volatile is almost always a bad idea.

Another possibility is for a module to make an explicit "flush" call when it
is happy to have parameters updated. I'll call the parameter "p". The
moduleparam code would need keep a copy "p_current" of p as well
as a pointer "&p" to the actual parameter p. Writes to p would only update
p_current, not p, so would not immediately be seen by the module's code.
A call to flush would then write p_current to the actual parameter *(&p). This has
the advantage of centralizing locking in the common moduleparam code,
which needs to ensure that p_current is updated atomically.
It has the down side that driver writers will have to call flush at appropriate
times, which could be a maintenance burden (I'm thinking of
drivers/usb/core/devio.c which has a writeable parameter usbfs_snoop
which causes usbfs ioctls to be logged when set; it doesn't hurt if usbfs_snoop
changes at any time; but when adding a new use of usbfs_snoop it would be
easy to forget to put a flush call in every code path leading there). Still, this
is much lighter weight that having drivers take a module_param_rwsem
whenever they access parameters.

All the best,

Duncan.