Re: Losing too many ticks! .... on a VIA epia board

From: Georg Schild
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 05:22:02 EST

Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed.
Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed.
Losing too many ticks!
TSC cannot be used as a timesource. Possible reasons for this are:
You're running with Speedstep,
You don't have DMA enabled for your hard disk (see hdparm),
Incorrect TSC synchronization on an SMP system (see dmesg).
Falling back to a sane timesource now.

Furthermore editors like jed and emacs takes forever to start. A "strace emacs /somefile" shows that it hangs in a poll right after gettimeofday.

Any clues to what is wrong and how I go about fixing it?!

Regards Thomas, Denmark

I don't have a clue but the same problem on an amd64 system. I am running a 64bit 2.6.9-rc1-mm4 kernel on my machine and if i add the boot parameter report_lost_ticks it reports the same messages as your machine. Since 2.6.7 there is this parameter, before the lost ticks where reported all the time. I always thought that this is a 64bit problem because i have heard from others which have this problem too. Why are we loosing ticks? On my system it happens almost when an acpi event occurs. I know that they aren't reported anymore but I don't like the thing that my processor (or timesource) looses something.

Georg Schild