Re: [ck] Re: 2.6.8.1-ck7, Two Badnessess, one dump.

From: Joshua Schmidlkofer
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 17:04:22 EST

Is your drive idle while applying dma settings? Current 2.6 kernels
aren't even close to being safe to modify drive settings, since it makes
no effective attempts to serialize with ongoing commands. I have a
half-assed patch to fix that.

No it isn't!! But I think that would be the problem. I just realized that [after you wrote this] that I turned on 'parallel' execution in my Gentoo init scripts for both of those systems.

Tonight, I am going to change hdparm so that it runs xfs_freeze on all fs's just before tuning, and [of course un-freeze] to see if that cures it.

thanks,
Joshua