Re: offtopic: how to break huge patch into smaller independent patches?

From: Martin J. Bligh
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 00:30:20 EST

>> Consider using a source-control tool next time ;-/.
>
> We used a source control tool. Its just not very useful when people do a port from one kernel version to the next and submit it as one giant patch against the new kernel rather than new versions of the original individual patches.
>
> I'm the one planning how to avoid this problem in our next development cycle.

Having maintained my own tree for a while, what I'd suggest is to keep a
sequence of flat patches, then apply and port then ONE AT A TIME to each
new kernel version. Once you get a system down, it really doesn't take
long to do.

Personally I find source control tools utterly useless for exactly this
reason. Akpm uses his own set of tools which someone packaged up as
"quilt" I think. I have a similar set that works by patch number, his
are controlled by a series file. Suggest you look at his tools - if he
can manage a release every few days with several hundred patches in, they
must work pretty well ;-)

M.