mkraid problem with 2+TB devices

From: Andy Arvai
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 01:35:08 EST

There's a problem with mkraid creating a raid device where the
individual devices are each over 2TB:

[root@rad7 3dm2]# mkraid --really-force /dev/md0
DESTROYING the contents of /dev/md0 in 5 seconds, Ctrl-C if unsure!
handling MD device /dev/md0
analyzing super-block
couldn't get device size for /dev/sdb -- File too large
mkraid: aborted.
(In addition to the above messages, see the syslog and /proc/mdstat as well
for potential clues.)

The kernel (2.6.8-1) is able to read the device, although with a warning:

Aug 26 16:38:59 localhost kernel: sdb : very big device. try to use READ CAPACITY(16).
Aug 26 16:38:59 localhost kernel: SCSI device sdb: 4687368192 512-byte hdwr sectors (2399933 MB)

I assume mkraid needs to do something like use READ CAPACITY(16).
There's a similar problem with mdadm and I've discussed this with Neil
Brown who plans to fix it. I don't know if mkraid is being actively
maintained, but if someone does come up with a patch soon, then
I would be willing to try it.

Andy