Re: [patch] tune vmalloc size

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 08:44:56 EST

Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> writes:

> there are a few devices that use lots of ioremap space. vmalloc space is
> a showstopper problem for them.
>
> this patch adds the vmalloc=<size> boot parameter to override
> __VMALLOC_RESERVE. The default is 128mb right now - e.g. vmalloc=256m
> doubles the size.

Ah, Karsten Keil did a similar patch some months ago. There is
clearly a need.

But I think this should be self tuning instead. For a machine with
less than 900MB of memory the vmalloc area can be automagically increased,
growing into otherwise unused address space.

This way many users wouldn't need to specify weird options. So far
most machines still don't have more than 512MB.

-Andi