Re: Being more anal about iospace accesses..

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 12:46:54 EST

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Roland Dreier wrote:

> However, I somewhat agree -- it's ugly for drivers rely on this and do
> arithmetic on void *. It should be OK for a driver to use
> char __iomem * for its IO base if it needs to add in offsets, right?

"char __iomem *" will certainly work - all the normal pointer conversions
are ok. Some people in fact use pointers to structures in MMIO space, and
this is quite reasonable when working with a chip that uses "mailboxes"
for commands.

However, I disagree with "void *" arithmetic being ugly. It's a very nice
feature to have a pointer that can be validly cast to any other type, and
that is the whole _point_ of "void *". The fact that C++ got that wrong is
arguably the worst failing of the language, causing tons of unnecessary
casts that can silently hide real bugs (maybe the thing you cast wasn't a
"void *" in the first place, but you'll never know - the compiler will do
the cast for you).

For example, to go back to the mailbox example, let's say that your
hardware has an IO area that is 8kB in size, with the last 4kB being
mailboxes.

The _sane_ way to do that is to do

void __iomem *base_io = ioremap(...);
struct mailbox __iomem *mbox = base_io + MAILBOX_OFFSET;

and then just work on that.

In contrast, havign to cast to a "char *" in order to do arithmetic, and
then casting back to the resultant structure type pointer is not only
ugly and unreadable, it's a lot more prone to errors as a result.

In other words, think of "void *" as a pointer to storage. Not "char"
(which is the C name for a signed byte), but really, it's the pointer to
whatever underlying memory there is. And a _fundamental_ part of such
memory is the fact that it is addressable. Thus "pointer to storage
arithmetic" really does make sense on a very fundamental level. It has
nothing to do with C types, and that also explains why "void *" silently
converts to anything else. It's a very internally consistent world-view.

Now, I disagree with gcc when it comes to actually taking the "size" of
void. Gcc will silently accept

void *x;
x = malloc(sizeof(*x));

which I consider to be an abomination (and the above _can_ happen, quite
easily, as part of macros for doing allocation etc - nobody would write
it in that form, but if you have an "MEMALLOC(x)" macro that does the
sizeof, you could end up trying to feed the compiler bogus code).

The fact that you can do arithmetic on typeless storage does _not_ imply
that typeless storage would have a "size" in my book.

So sparse will say:

warning: cannot size expression

and refuse to look at broken code like the above. But hey, the fact that I
have better taste than anybody else in the universe is just something I
have to live with. It's not easy being me.

Linus