Re: [patch] kernel sysfs events layer

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 19:05:40 EST

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 05:26:29PM -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 14:23 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > We aren't giving absolute /dev entries here, that's the beauty of the
> > kobject tree :)
>
> Not that I agree, but I don't think it is the absolute /dev entries that
> bother him: it is the fact that knowledge of the mount itself is an
> information leak.
>
> Which it is. As root, in my name space, I should rest in the knowledge
> that my mounts are secret, I guess. But I just do not see it as a big
> problem.

Hm, this is an issue that I and the FreeBSD author of jail were talking
about a week or so ago when I was describing why we did udev in
userspace and the hotplug stuff. He pointed out the namespace issue as
the biggest problem for FreeBSD to be able to do the same kind of thing
that we are doing.

But I agree, I don't think it's a big deal right now either.

thanks,

greg k-h