Re: monoholitic, hybrid or not monoholitic? [OT]

From: Neil Brown
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 20:05:40 EST

On Wednesday September 15, matthew@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'd tend towards monolithic because the modules (as mentioned) run in kernel
> space; but it's not a cookie-cutter case. Things are implemented in userspace
> that provide functionality normally included in the kernel; udev springs to
> mind, even if it is not the predominant solution.

It is worth looking at the origin of the word "monolithic".

mono - prefix meaning one, singular, alone.
lith - rock
-ic - suffix meaning like, or similar.

And given that
Linux is Number One and it, like, ROCKS,
I guess monolithic must be the right term :-)

NeilBrown

(we now return you to regular programming)