Re: journal aborted, system read-only

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 00:05:36 EST

On Monday 13 September 2004 11:12, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 16:28, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I just got up, and found advisories on every shell open that the
>> journal had encountered an error and aborted, converting my /
>> partition to read-only.

>> The kernel is 2.6.9-rc1-mm4. .config available on request.
>>
>> This is precious little info to go on, but basicly I'm wondering
>> if anyone else has encountered this?
>
>Well, we really need to see _what_ error the journal had encountered
> to be able to even begin to diagnose it. But 2.6.9-rc1-mm3 and
> -mm4 had a bug in the journaling introduced by low-latency work on
> the checkpoint code; can you try -mm5 or back out
>"journal_clean_checkpoint_list-latency-fix.patch" and try again?

It just did it to me again, this time with 2.6.9-rc1-mm5.

This seems to coincide with the system being busier than that famous
cat on the equally famous tin roof as far as disk traffic is
concerned. This time amanda was running which makes the drives work
up a sweat, and I was trying to get checkinstall to install
xorg.6.8.1 that I had just built, so it was moving about 55 megs of
files around when things went splat.

So that run of amanda is kaput, and I have a mess to clean up
in /var/tmp and /usr/src/X6.8.1 from checkinstall.

And as usual in these cases, the logs are spotlessly clean
because /var is on /, which is on /dev/hda7, an syslog couldn't write
when its read-only.

Has anyone any ideas?

--
Cheers, Gene