Re: CD-ROM can't be ejected

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 02:40:04 EST

(don't top post, and don't trim cc list!)

On Thu, Sep 16 2004, Bc. Michal Semler wrote:
> notas:/home/cijoml# mount /cdrom/
> notas:/home/cijoml# umount /cdrom/
> notas:/home/cijoml# strace -o eject /dev/hdc
> eject: unable to eject, last error: Nep?ípustný argument
>
> As you can see, I dont't enter to directory...
>
> And output is included

> ioctl(3, CDROMEJECT, 0xbffffac8) = -1 EIO (Input/output error)

That's the important bit, the reason you get EINVAL passed back is
because eject tries the floppy eject as well and decides to print the
warning from that. It really should just stop of it sees -EIO, only
continue if EINVAL/ENOTTY is passed back.

Try this little c program and report back what it tells you. Compile
with

gcc -Wall -o eject eject.c

and run without arguments.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <sys/ioctl.h>
#include <linux/cdrom.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
int fd = open("/dev/hdc", O_RDONLY | O_NONBLOCK);
struct cdrom_generic_command cgc;
struct request_sense sense;

memset(&cgc, 0, sizeof(cgc));
memset(&sense, 0, sizeof(sense));

cgc.cmd[0] = 0x1b;
cgc.cmd[4] = 0x02;
cgc.sense = &sense;
cgc.data_direction = CGC_DATA_NONE;

if (ioctl(fd, CDROM_SEND_PACKET, &cgc) == 0) {
printf("eject worked\n");
return 0;
}

printf("command failed - sense %x/%x/%x\n", sense.sense_key, sense.asc, sense.ascq);
return 1;
}

--
Jens Axboe