Re: device driver for the SGI system clock, mmtimer

From: Robert Picco
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 13:06:38 EST

Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

On Thursday 16 September 2004 10:32 am, Christoph Lameter wrote:

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

Christoph Lameter wrote:

The timer hardware was designed around the multimedia timer specification by Intel
but to my knowledge only SGI has implemented that standard. The driver was written
by Jesse Barnes.

As far as I can see, drivers/char/hpet.c talks to the same hardware.
HP sx1000 machines (and probably others) also implement the HPET.

The Intel Multimedia Standard is a earlier and different timer spec.

I have a spec that's labelled "IA-PC Multimedia Timers", preliminary
draft of June 2000, revision 0.97, which looks like the one mentioned
in your patch.

I also have something labelled "IA-PC HPET (High Precision Event
Timers) Specification", draft of February 2002, revision 0.98,
which is what drivers/char/hpet.c supports.

I admit I haven't compared them in great detail, but they certainly
*look* like they're close enough that the same driver could support
both, and the 0.98 revision history only mentions fairly cosmetic
changes (like the name :)).

Is there something specific that drivers/char/hpet.c expects that
your hardware doesn't implement?

Look at HPET revision history. Specifically 0.98 01/20/2002
* Product name changed: from Multimedia Timer to HPET (High Precision Event Timer)

Bob