RE: 2.6.9-rc2-mm1

From: Len Brown
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 01:54:36 EST

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 01:18, Protasevich, Natalie wrote:
> > On Thursday 16 September 2004 11:14 am, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > > On Thursday, September 16, 2004 2:40 am, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > bk-acpi.patch
> > >
> > > Looks like some changes in this patch break sn2. In particular,
> this
> > > hunk in
> > > acpi_pci_irq_enable():
> > >
> > > - if (dev->irq && (dev->irq <= 0xF)) {
> > > + if (dev->irq >= 0 && (dev->irq <= 0xF)) {
> > > printk(" - using IRQ %d\n", dev->irq);
> > > return_VALUE(dev->irq);
> > > }
> > > else {
> > > printk("\n");
> > > - return_VALUE(0);
> > > + return_VALUE(-EINVAL);
> > > }
> > >
> > > Now instead of returning 0, we'll get -EINVAL when a driver calls
> > > pci_enable_device. This is arguably correct since there's no _PRT
> > > entry (and in fact no ACPI namespace on sn2), but shouldn't the
> code
>
> > > above be looking at the 'pin' value instead of dev->irq? The sn2
> > > specific PCI code sets up each
> > > dev->irq long before this with the correct values...

No, in this context, the variable "pin" is to select PCI INTA/B/C/D, not
a interrupt controller pin.

If SN2 is using its pre-determied interrupt configuration, then is is
probably a bug that it calls down into this code at all, since SN2 wants
this code to be a NOP, yes?

> > I think the change above is actually from
> > incorrect-pci-interrupt-assignment-on-es7000-for-pin-zero.patch
>
> > of which I am officially ignorant :-)

yeah, probably these IRQ patches should come through me, but haven't b/c
my patch throughput has been very low the last couple of weeks. At
least if I ship no new patches I don't get blamed for breaking stuff;-)

> I realize now that this is very involved piece of code and a lot was
> built around the assumption that IRQ0 is a timer interrupt (pin 0 is
> for
> PCI on ES7000), and assumption that everyone honors this assumption :)
> However, it seems wrong that we are not able to read literally what
> ACPI
> says, such as irq 0 for INTA. Maybe, it would be better if the code
> above was returing an error code, not an irq, which is returned in dev
> anyway. It should be some creative way to resolve this issue... I
> think
> the idea in the comment above by Jesse Barnes has good potential.

Yes, there are lots of places where IRQ0 is an error condition. I
expect that this was lazyness based on the fact that the timer code is
hard-wired to use IRQ0, so it is always taken on IA32. My suggestion
to un-hard-wire the timer code was not greeted with enthusiasm, so this
is how things sit.

But IRQ0 should not be a problem on the ES7000, as there is an override
to supply IRQ0 from pin 0:20. pin 0:0, on the other hand is a PCI
interrupt on the ES7000, completely valid to be assigned from the _PRT
and to be assigned by the es7000-specific code to any arbitrary IRQ#.

I'm not sure exactly that the patch above was trying to fix. Looks like
it is time to examine the latest ew7000 changes in detail. But I think
the patch has pointed out that this routine really should be returning 0
for success and non zero for failure; and returning dev->irq was
probably a latent bug all along.

-Len