Re: top hogs CPU in 2.6: kallsyms_lookup is very slow

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 06:37:30 EST

Denis Vlasenko wrote:
On Thursday 16 September 2004 15:17, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
Did the kallsyms patches reduce the cpu overhead from get_wchan()?

Yes. top does not hog CPU anymore. It takes even a liitle bit *less*
CPU than in 2.4 now.

Great!

I was the one who wrote those patches, so I'm glad to know that they actually made a difference in real world workloads (like using "top").

Reading /proc/kallsyms should be a lot faster too, although there is no comparison with 2.4 kernel, because there where no kallsyms there. It can be compared with previous 2.6 kernels, though.

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
Farmers' Almanac, 1978