Re: journal aborted, system read-only

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 11:39:38 EST

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:36:01 EDT, Gene Heskett said:

> >This happened about 4 minutes into a 'tar cf - | (cd && tar xf -)'
> > pipeline to clone a work copy of the -rc1-mm5 source tree (it got
> > about 408M through the 543M before it blew up)....
>
> Humm, it happened to me while amdump was running, and amdump uses tar.
> My tar version is 1.13-25.

I don't think "tar" is anything more than an enabler here - it's just that on
my laptop it's one of the more abusive things I can do to the file system (especially
when source and dest directories are on the same file system). I've had the problem
pop up while reading down my e-mail, which is another "lots of little files" scenario
(500+ lines of procmailrc, passing stuff to/from spamassassin, and storing in the
MH "one message per file" format)....

I'm about to start building -rc2-mm1 - I'm probably going to liberally sprinkle some
strategic printk's so we have a chance of flushing out why it's failing...