Usage of UML (User Mode Linux)

From: Lei Yang
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 12:03:39 EST

Dear fellows,

I am new to kernel modules and am trying to get a module work right now. I
need some tools to debug. In order not to risk the host machine, I am
thinking of using UML. I downloaded the kernel RPM

------user_mode_linux-2.4.19.5um-0.i386.rpm

and root filesystem

------Debian-3.0r0.ext2.bz2

and got Debian boot sucessfully. However, I still have several questions:

1. The kernel version does not match filesystem:
(none):/lib/modules# ls
2.4.18-37um
(none):/lib/modules# uname -r
2.4.19-5um

2. How do I get my own module compiled into the kernel and debug with it?

I've been reading the UML homepage
http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/index.html

but have not really found tips helpful to me. Could anyone give me any hint
how to do this, or where to look at?

TIA!

Lei