Re: [BUG] Via-Rhine WOL vs PXE Boot

From: Roger Luethi
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 15:42:46 EST

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:54:36 +0200, Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
> In recent kernels I have been having trouble booting from a LAN with the built
> in PXE firmware in my Via Epia M10k board. This will never happen after a
> cold-boot. But do accur after the first reboot or power-down/power-up cycle.
> When this occurs the PXE firmware exits with no error, as at least a
> unplugged wire (from cold-boot) will yield an error message with the
> unchanged driver. Cold-boot refers to complete power separation from the
> motherboard.
>
> I've traced this down to a specific change in the via-rhine ethernet driver:
[...]

The patch you are referring to contains very little code that affects chip
programming without user intervention (e.g. calling ethtool ioctls). There
is one notable exception: The patch introduces rhine_shutdown which is
called at shutdown (well, duh!). I suppose you can make the problem go away
if you comment out parts of said function. I'd start at the bottom with the
D3 call.

Roger