Re: The ultimate TOE design

From: Tony Lee
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 18:22:48 EST

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:36:14 -0700 (PDT), David Lang
<david.lang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> actually the sector based access that is made to modern drives is a very
> primitive filesystem. if you go back to the days of the MFM and RLL drives
> you had the computer sending the raw bitstreams to the drives, but with
> SCSI and IDE this stopped and you instead a higher level logical block to
> the drive and it deals with the details of getting it to and from the
> platter.
>
> David Lang

Maybe next evolutionary step is to put VFS layer directory on top of
RDMA -> PCI
Express/Latest serial IO, etc.
Similar to access file thru NFS/SMB just on a faster standardize
(RDMA) transport.

On the networking front, instead of TOE, it should be services
offload, similar to
web load balancer. Offload service base on src/dest addr port
proto (tcp/udp).
NSO (Network service offload.) - kind of like Apache's reverse proxy
with URL rewrite, but maybe for other applications.

Question for Leonid of S2io.com: Your company has an interesting card.
I think it must have some kind of embedded CPU. Care to tell us what kind
of CPU are they?

--
-Tony
Having a lot of fun with Xilinx Virtex Pro II reconfigurable HW + ppc + Linux