Re: Design for setting video modes, ownership of sysfs attributes

From: Vladimir Dergachev
Date: Sat Sep 18 2004 - 21:34:39 EST

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Jon Smirl wrote:

You did that from an xterm, right? Which console device is the xterm running on?

Yes.

I thought /dev/pts/1 was a console - much like regular tty or a serial port.

X starts up a process that knows which device it is running and it can
remember that device since X stays running.

Maybe the answer is that this is something for the VC layer since the
VC layer stays running and knows what device it was started on. An
escape sequence could query the device from the VC terminal emulator.

Is there some way to figure this out from the environment?

Well, there is a DISPLAY variable which you likely knew about. Otherwise there does not seem to be anything else console specific.

Btw, completely unrelated, but I found that that I have WINDOW_MANAGER=metacity set. Not sure how I got it, but I am running KDE.

best

Vladimir Dergachev