Re: udev is too slow creating devices

From: Ihar 'Philips' Filipau
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 03:20:09 EST

Greg KH wrote:

P.P.S. Another day, I hope, you will understand that right system need to provide people with two opposite ways of doing things. Sometimes it is advantage to be event-based and asynchronous, sometimes it is very convient to be dumb & synchronous.

My point is we _can not_ be dumb and synchronous in this situation. It
just will not work with busses that have devices that can come and go as
the system is running. It is pretty much impossible to correctly do
what you are proposing. Just think about the different situations that
we have to handle properly.

Example? Your "we can not" sounds like "we not capable enough to implement."

I thought that discovery deterministic process. What I'm missing?

For now, You haven't gave any example besides "slow USB hub" - but this is rather example which supports me: you are not going to put /variable/ delays into init scripts? aren't you?

Here we definitely need to hide asynchronousity of process - handling this volatility in user space will never work reliably.

P.S. You do not need to reply, it seems like case of init scripts is not interesting for you. What is for me about 90% of work I usually do preparing new system. Number-wise, most of devices attached to system, initialized by init scripts - and you just dumbly avoid answering that. You have to modprobe/insmod harddrive & filesystem to be able run your udev, after all. Think about it. And people have had problems with discovery - one of the patches for usb-storage root fs is adding a delay and retries for root fs mounting. Moving problem around is easier than solving it, that's true.