Re: nproc: So?

From: Roger Luethi
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 05:42:25 EST

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 08:40:12 -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> To me, this looks like the killer feature. You could even
> skip the regular process info. Simply return process identification
> cookies that could be passed into a separate syscall to get
> the information.

Do you mean "return cookies for all existing processes"? Or "return
cookies for all processes created since X" (if so, what's X?) ?

> > True if you consider a static set of fields that never changes. Problematic
> > otherwise, because as soon as you start grouping fields together, you need
> > an agreement between kernel and user-space on the contents of these groups.
>
> I suppose this is small potatoes compared to the overhead
> of dealing with ASCII, but individual field handling would
> be a bit slower.

Correct.

> For initial libproc support, I'd start by requesting info
> in groups that match what /proc provides today.

Makes perfect sense. You can pre-assemble an array of field IDs, hand
them over to the kernel, and get the requested fields in the requested
order.

> The stat() call simply fills in a struct. Given a per-process
> cookie (or a PID if you tolerate the race conditions), a syscall
> similar to stat() could fill in a struct.

With nproc as-is you can send a request that matches your desired struct
and cast the result to a pointer to your struct.

An application can build its own cookie simply by always requesting a set
of fields that _together_ can be used to identify a process. I reckon that
PID + process creation timestamp would be a good combination (except that
the latter is not currently available). The creation of the complete reply
to a request is atomic per process, the race is gone. What is not possible
right now is selecting processes based on a cookie -- the only selectors
so far are "all of them" and "select by PID".

Roger