Re: hotplug e1000 failed after 32 times

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 11:52:28 EST

* Jonathan Lundell (linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Out of curiosity, though, isn't there a residual related problem, in
> that a reinserted card gets a new eth# as well? Not insurmountable, I
> suppose, but a bitch to automate.

I do wonder why the eth# still gets exported to users - its a royal
pain when you have multiple cards. I guess naming by mac address
isn't ideal either when you want to hot swap one! Naming by
pci slot would be kind of nice.

(I sometimes wish ether cards would have a good old fashioned dil
switch on so you could set an ID).

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /