Re: hotplug e1000 failed after 32 times

From: Li Shaohua
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 19:59:50 EST

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 07:34, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> All this work and code for such an uncommon case??
>
> First off, any settings which are _indexed_ are almost guaranteed
> broken. For reasons as we see here, and others. Any
> "setting_foo[board_number]" should be found and eliminated instead.
>
> Even if you allocate and free board numbers as described, how precisely
> do you propose to predict which settings belong to which hotplugged
> board? Look at the problem, and you realize that the board<->setting
> association becomes effectively _random_ for any adapter not present at
> modprobe time.
>
> The best model is to set these settings via netlink/ethtool after
> registering the interface, but before bringing it up.
I'm not familiar with the NIC driver, but this problem really is
annoying. The gurus, please consider a solution. It's not an uncommon
case. I believe it's common in a big system with hotplug support. I can
understand why the driver doesn't support more than 32 a card, but one
card with 32 times hotplug failed is a little ugly.

Thanks,
Shaohua