Re: udev is too slow creating devices

From: Alexander E. Patrakov
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 21:17:34 EST

Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
Also I wonder how dm works: will dmsetup create the /dev inode
itself, or use udev to do that? would I need the sleep/loop in a script creating device mappings to wait for the inode?

You can safely tell udev to ignore dm devices, if you use LVM or EVMS. It almost always creates them under the wrong directory and with wrong name anyway. Correcting this means just duplicating LVM/EVMS configuration in udev rules. Better leave this task of dm node creation to dmsetup and related tools.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov