Re: OOM & [OT] util-linux-2.12e

From: DervishD
Date: Mon Sep 20 2004 - 06:08:28 EST

Hi Andries :)

* Andries.Brouwer@xxxxxx <Andries.Brouwer@xxxxxx> dixit:
> If we would put the mount options in /proc/mounts, and introduced
> a comment convention (say, the part starting with \: is ignored by
> the kernel but can be used by programs reading /proc/mounts),
> then /etc/mtab can die. Comments? Better solutions?

If you add a comment convention to /proc/mounts so you can use it
as a substitute for /etc/mtab, you will probably break the apps that
use /etc/mtab. I was wondering, then... does the kernel *read*
/proc/mounts contents? If the answer is no, then you can add all
syntactic noise you want to /proc/mounts, exporting options needed
for userspace programs, with no problem. You can make /proc/mounts to
look like /etc/mtab. That will solve most of the problems.

If the kernel needs to read /proc/mounts, then you have a
problem: you will need /etc/mtab as long as you have to use loop
devices, user mounts, etc.

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736