Re: 1GB/2GB/3GB User Space Splitting Patch 2.6.8.1 (PSEUDO SPAM)

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 13:47:06 EST

I feel like I've missed something in this discussion.

First of all I really don't understand the cause of the lost 128K in the first place, but it seems that by increasing the address space reserved for the kernel in user space by some amount fixes this problem.

My question is: Why can't we just shrink the kernel address space by that same amount, allowing the kernel address space plus the extra to fit into 1GB?