Re: Is there a user space pci rescan method?

From: Jan Dittmer
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 10:06:45 EST

Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 01:58:32AM +0200, Jan Dittmer wrote:
>
>>Dave Aubin wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>> I know very little about hotplug, but does make sense.
>>>How do you motivate a hotplug insertion event? Or should
>>>I just go read the /docs on hotplugging? Any help is
>>>Appreciated:)
>>
>>There is a "fake" hotplug driver which works for normal pci. But last
>>time I looked at it, it did only support hot disabling, not hot enabling
>>- but this surely can be fixed.
>

> Yes, hot "enabling" has been left for someone to add to the driver, if
> you read the comments in it :)

I read them and started playing around with this driver. So echoing 0 in
/sys/bus/pci/slots/*/power disables the pci device. The problem I see
is, that the tree with the device is disappearing. So how am I supposed
to re-enable the device. I've no real hotplug hardware to play with, so
I'm bound to reading the source code in drivers/pci/hotplug and testing
with fakephp. I found your utility pcihpview (v0.5) which searches for
/sys/bus/pci/hotplug_slots. But grepping the kernel tree doesn't show
any mentioning of it - so I suppose it is outdated.
Is there anywhere a current article (or Documentation/pci_hotplug.txt)
about the state of PCI hotplug and how this is supposed to work?

Thanks,

Jan

ps: Meanwhile I found dummyphp on the pcihpd mailinglist. This doesn't
remove the device from /sys/bus/pci/slots/*/power . Still I'd like
to know the offical way.