Re: ArcNet and 2.6.8.1

From: Joel Jaeggli
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 12:28:27 EST

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Esben Nielsen wrote:

ArcNet can't compete with ethernet as LAN: It can only run 10 Mbit whereas
100 Mbit ethernet can run roughly 50 Mbit in practice.

most 100Mb/s ethernet card/switch combo's will happily push 90+ Mb/s bi-directionally between two hosts.

But ArcNet doesn't degrade in performance when you try to fill it up as
ethernet does. Thus ArcNet is very good for real-time applications - and
is used for such in the industry. But that is not an area where people
usually use Linux.

well maybe your "realtime" application doesn't run on linux.

if you want non-degrading ethernet performance buy a switch, if you want bandwidth reservation, buy an l3 switch.

There just isn't anyone using arcnet or arcnet+ anymore, the writing was on the wall for thomas conrad more than a decade ago, and my datapoint mainframe days are far behind me, and I don't miss them.

But don't worry, the windoze drivers aren't good either. The official
driver for the PCMCIA card crashed Windows XP - with no chance of fixing
them as I have with the Linux one :-)

Esben