Re: suspend/resume support for driver requires an external firmware

From: Marcel Holtmann
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 15:13:26 EST

Hi,

> Current state is the patch makes ipw2100 suspend/resume work in the expense
> of addtional ~200k kernel runtime memory. So I'd rather look on it as a
> workaround instead of a finial solution.

it consumes extra runtime memory, but why not build a simple firmware
cache behind the request_firmware() interface. In this case it can be
transparent for the driver and we won't have an extra workaround for
suspend/resume stuff for every driver. How many firmwares do a normal
system really have to hold in memory for suspend/resume actions?

Regards

Marcel