Re: [Patch] i386: Xbox support

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 03:00:57 EST

Ed Schouten wrote:
Hello Nick,

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:03:39 +1000, Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Any real point to merging this? (I honestly don't know, I don't follow the
xbox hacking scene).

Yes, it does (in my opinion). This small 7 KB patch allows you to run
a vanilla kernel on the machine (with exception of the video driver).

I also noticed my previous mailclient (Squirrelmail) did some
linebreaking. Please notice:

+ if ((bus == 0) && !PCI_SLOT(devfn) && ((PCI_FUNC(devfn) == 1) ||
(PCI_FUNC(devfn) == 2)))

should be one line ;-)

Yours sincerely,

Well, I ask because there is probably quite a large number of embedded type
devices devices that you could "just add a small patch for" to get it working.

The added fact that you have to "hack" the hardware (I think?) to even get
it to run Linux makes it probably a bit more questionable (it is great that
we can run on xbox, but maybe not too harmful to keep it as an external patch).

Anyway I've otherwise got no objections ;) if you can convince Andrew and/or
Linus to merge it, then fine.