Re: get_user_pages() still broken in 2.6

From: Timur Tabi
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 10:18:57 EST

Dave Hansen wrote:

You probably want mlock(2) to keep the kernel from messing with the ptes
at all.

mlock() can only be called via sys_mlock(), which is a user-space call. Not only that, but only root can call sys_mlock(). This is not compatible with our needs.

> But, you should probably really be thinking about why you're
accessing the page tables at all. I count *ONE* instance in drivers/
where page tables are accessed directly.

I access PTEs to get the physical addresses of a user-space buffer, so that we can DMA to/from it directly.

--
Timur Tabi
Staff Software Engineer