Re: 2.6.9-rc2-mm4 and nvidia 1.0-6111

From: Sid Boyce
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 19:23:37 EST

Alistair John Strachan wrote:
On Wednesday 29 September 2004 18:28, you wrote:

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 13:15, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 01:04:58PM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:

Isn't there an nvidia-linux mailing list? This is really OT for
LKML.

I had one for a while where I posted patches but it never gained much
momentum. Unless there is a sizable group of people who want this I
don't see any need to resurrect it.

OK, makes sense. With so many people using the driver I guess it's just
easiest to deal with nvidia problems on LKML.

Lee

Just about any out-of-kernel driver using Changed-API-X will be broken, free or non-free. Something more general like linux-drivers or linux-kernel-drivers would probably make more sense.

Sometimes changes in -mm even break in-kernel drivers; it's not really an "NVIDIA problem" as such. I agree with Lee though; it's an unwritten rule that you prefix a subject with [OT] when speaking about something which isn't directly relevant to the kernel.

(By the way, if this breaks outside of -mm patches will appear for stable kernels on http://minion.de/ as did with the 2.5 development tree.)

So, in addition to the patches from http://00f.net/blogs/index.php/2004/09/07/nvidia_kernel_module_and_linux_2_6_9_mm I've changed NV_REMAP_PAGE_RANGE to NV_REMAP_PFN_RANGE and remap_page_range to remap_pfn_range in nv-linux.h, nv.c, os-agp.c, and os-interface.c, the missing piece -- see below. I may get around to posting patches to the nvidia forum later today.

I'm not sure if I can divulge the name of my helper in case he gets showered by unwanted email, but a suggested additional change to nv-linux.h has fixed it.
#define NV_REMAP_PFN_RANGE(from, offset, x...) \
remap_pfn_range(vma, from, ((offset)) >> PAGE_SHIFT), x)

Regards
Sid.

--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and keen Flyer
=====LINUX ONLY USED HERE=====