Re: Linux 2.6.9-rc3

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 22:19:08 EST

On Thursday 30 September 2004 17:55, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> bz2 has resulted in corrupted unpacks here on more than one
>> occasion, and it has done it without any outwardly visible error
>> when the md5sum was good. I've had it skip a whole subdir tree in
>> a kernel unpack on at least 4 occasions, and a missing file
>> someplace on several more occasions. I don't have any such
>> troubles when dl'ing and using the .gz version of things.
>>
>> There has been at least one occasion where the .bz2 dl had a bad
>> md5sum, again without any visible error as it was downloading,
>> nuke it and go back and get the same file again and it was good.
>> Again I've had no such troubles when using the .gz versions, so
>> after a a while, I got into the habit of just gettng the .gz
>> version and I've never had an instance of a bad md5sum that wasn't
>> accompanied by site access problems.
>
>There's definitely something else going on. I don't see how you can
>blame bz2 for downloading problems. If this were true we would see
> a _lot_ more problem reports than just one in >5 years.
>
> Jeff

Just one in 5 years, the one being me? Not really Jeff. Someplace in
this lists archives is a squawk from me dating back maybe 2 years,
detailing that I had to go download such and such a kernel from
kernel.org repeatedly (I think it as 3 times, on a dialup circuit)
before the unpack gave me a certain subdir in the tree and the -mm
patch upchucked over missing src files it wanted to patch. At that
time IIRC, someone suggested I use the .gz's and I've had no further
problems. Whomever made the suggestion semi-indicated that what I
was seeing wasn't unknown to the responder. Not in so many words
mind you, but the general tone of the message sure said it.

I also got bummed a couple of times back in the very early days of bz2
because it beat the amiga's default .lha compression quite a bit.
But it didn't always work. IIRC there was a flurry of bz2
development 2-3 years back, and maybe thats no longer true. Me, I
don't fix what isn't broken, so I get the .gz's only. On dsl it
doesn't hurt so much. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)