Re: [patch] inotify: make user visible types portable

From: Paul Jackson
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 01:47:08 EST

Robert wrote:
> The rule is to use the __foo variants for externally viewable types.
> Indeed, the examples you gave are wrapped in __KERNEL__.

I've no doubt you're right here. But I'm a little confused.

Are you saying to use __u32 so user code can compile with these kernel
headers and see your new inotify symbols w/o polluting their name space
with the non-underscored typedef symbols?

I though such use of kernel headers in compiling user code was
deprecated. I'd have figured this meant while we might not go out of
way to break someone already doing it, we wouldn't make any effort, or
tolerate any ugly as sin __foo names, in order to add to the list of
symbols so accessible.

If you have a few minutes more patience, perhaps you could explain
where my understanding departed from reality.

Thanks.

--
I won't rest till it's the best ...
Programmer, Linux Scalability