Re: [patch] make dnotify compile-time configurable

From: Robert Love
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 10:51:29 EST

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 08:31 -0700, Randy.Dunlap wrote:

> I'd rather see inotify additions and dnotify config options kept
> separate. They may serve a similar purpose, but inotify doesn't
> replace the dnotify API. If the latter were true, combining
> them would make sense IMO.

I'm not really following.

Whether or not dnotify is a configuration option is separate, and could
go into the kernel either way.

But what matters if our inotify patch also carries the change? People
with inotify definitely DO want this patch, because they don't need
dnotify. Not much uses dnotify--it is a pain to use--and inotify
replaces its functionality.

It is also a practical move: the diffs conflict.

Robert Love