Re: Possible GPL Violation of Linux in Amstrad's E3 Videophone.

From: Ralph Corderoy
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 11:02:09 EST

Hi Alan,

Alan Cox wrote:
> Actually by the time this made the kernel list an answer turned up
> from Amstrad - the URL for the GPL source, and an offer valid for
> three years to supply it at cost is in the welcome email their units
> start up with.

dwmw2 is reporting off-list that the URL is "for the [MontaVista] devkit
they started from".

And the written offer is in the welcome email *now* but probably wasn't
until I hassled them. It also doesn't meet 3(b) so they're not
complying. The way the E3 works is that it won't do anything after
power on until you plug it into your phone line. Then it dials Amstrad
(Amsurf), asks you questions, e.g. name, and registers this along with
your phone number, serial number, and preferred email address with
Amstrad.

*After that* you get a `welcome email' containing the written offer.
Sorry, but I have the binaries once I walk out the shop. Where's my
written offer? What do I do if I bought one and got it shipped to
France and so it won't `phone home'?

Cheers,

Ralph.