Re: 2.6.9-rc2-mm4 ps hang ?

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 14:13:00 EST

Badari Pulavarty <pbadari@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I randomly see "ps" hangs on my AMD64 system running 2.6.9-rc2-mm4.
> I don't remember seeing this on earlier kernels. Is this something
> known/fixed ?

hm. I can see that access_process_vm() is doing lock_page() inside
mmap_sem, which is a ranking bug, but it's not that.

And I see a distinct lack of flush_foo_page() calls after the by-hand
modification of the user page. But it's not that either.

Can you work out who is holding mmap_sem for writing?