bug?: strange behaviour with memory hogs and 2.6.9-rc3

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 17:55:06 EST

I'm running 2.6.9-rc3 with 2GB of ram.

I've got a test app that loops allocating chunks of memory 60 pages at a time, scribbles on each page, and mlock()s it, for a total of about a gig and a half. It then sleeps for 100 seconds, and exits.

I ran one instance fine.

I ran the second instance, and userspace locked up. The machine still responds to pings, but no userspace stuff works.

It's been about 10 minutes, and userspace still hasn't come back.

Obviously I'm out of memory, but I would have expected that the oom killer would wake up or something.

Anyone have any ideas?

Chris